Talk about wasteful spending in government.
The Government Accountability Office (GAO) has released an audit that shows that the military spent $193.3 million from 2004 to 2009 to fire and replace 3,360 service members under “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell.”
It cost taxpayers $52,800 to discharge a service member over DADT.
Here are the statistics:
- 1,458 held critical occupations
- 57% were honorably discharged
- 28% were uncharacterized discharges
- 10% were general discharges
- 3% were other than honorable discharges
- 2% were unknown or not applicable discharges