- Health, Wellness & Sports
- Equality Directory
Usually, people opposed to bullying refrain from engaging in it, but not anti-LGBT activist Linda Harvey.
Recently, the known anti-LGBT crusader spoke with ABC News after launching a youth-oriented "anti-bullying" flier through her organization Mission:America. Only instead of filling it with information to encourage youth to be more accepting of diversity, she uses it to extoll her anti-LGBT beliefs. The flier runs through a fourth-grade version of “God made Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve” and “warns” the students that being LGBT is wrong, and so is anyone else who says otherwise including other religious leaders. When the argument gets complicated, the flier simply says that this is really a lot of “grown-up stuff.”
The flier then returns to bullying and tells youth that they should never bully. It tells them that they should “help” someone who is being bullied. Except she doesn’t give any direction on how to help, except for harping on the fact that no one 'should ever tell an LGBT youth that it’s OK to be gay.'
Harvey claims that she can oppose bullying and LGBT youth at the same time. Her flier demonstrates that she cannot.
Because of Linda’s well-known anti-LGBT activism, GLAAD added her today to the Commentator Accountability Project, which puts critical information about frequent anti-gay interviewees into the hands of newsrooms, editors, hosts and reporters. When media report on her or her flier, they should know the full extent of her anti-LGBT work and provide content on the source of the information included in the flier. Let’s take a look at just a sampling:
- Said the anti-bullying Day of Silence is a "God-dishonoring day"
- Said activists pushing back against rhetoric like hers is equivalent to Nazi Germany and Islamic radicals
- Blames LGBT activism for gay suicides: "Could the stifling political correctness in certain schools be one of the reasons some kids feel utterly hopeless?”
- Equates pro-LGBT books with things like incest and abuse.
- On LGBT activism: "We need to first understand the decline into barbarism that homosexual and sex-change activism brings. Then, we need to each be that person who gets it, who understands that these folks with their radical ideology are purposely endangering families, children, our nation's security, our economy and the religious freedom of all who don't go along. God has warned us in the pages of Scripture that these sinful impulses will end in catastrophe. It's not true that this is just another way to love, but these activists, as you can see, intend to overturn the beauty of traditional sexual morality."
- On openly LGB soldiers: "We need non-effeminate men in the military. Does anyone really believe that a prancing drill sergeant won't detract from readiness? Where women are serving, they should be women of high character, not those who embrace homosexual conduct and publicly declare a "sin" identity. These folks have truly lost their way, their shame, their innate sense of God's touch on and design for their lives."
The American public needs to be aware that when she is not talking to the mainstream media, Linda Harvey is making a living by trying to hurt LGBT young people. She has blamed suicide on LGBT advocates, compared the LGBT community to Nazi Germany, and claimed that LGBT resources are a form of child corruption.
"Encouraging young people to reject or speak out against a peer because of something they can't change is bullying at its worst,” said GLAAD President Herndon Graddick. “Thankfully, millions of Americans including teachers, athletes, and faith leaders disagree with anti-gay activists like Lisa Harvey and are giving young people the support they so critically need by reminding them that it's okay to be who you are."
If you see Harvey or her anti-LGBT flier represented without the facts in your local media or community be sure to let GLAAD know here.
To read the original blog story or to visit GLAAD, a content partner with SDGLN, click HERE.